The three loves of my life are stationery, books and random facts. I thought I’d share 15 interesting facts about two of them.
- Pencils can write under water.
- Pen lids cause an average of 100 deaths per year.
- In the 1900’s a judge requested that a margin was drawn on the left side of his paper.
- Before erasers were invented, stale bread was used to rub out pencil marks.
- One Pine tree can make about 80 000 sheets of paper.
- Before the name stapler, it was called the Hotchkiss.
- 85% of all highlighters sold are yellow.
- The invention of the glue stick is inspired from lipstick.
- Pencils didn’t have erasers on them until about 100 years ago, teachers thought that they would encourage children to make mistakes.
- Marcel Bich introduced the first inexpensive ballpoint pen in 1949, he named it BIC after himself.
- An Osaka, Japan based company called ‘Sakura Color Products Corp’ invented gel ink in 1984. They developed gel pens soon after.
- 507,000,000 Post-It notes would be needed to circle the world once.
- The Egyptians’ version of a fountain pen was a hollow bamboo stems sharpened at one end and filled with writing fluid.
- During the Second World War, Norwegian resistance fighters attached a single paper clip to their lapel as a subtle indication that they were taking the fight to Hitler’s troops.
- In 2010, a pen decorated with 945 black diamonds and 123 rubies was auctioned off for $8million in Shanghai. It was called the ‘Fulgor Nocturnus’ and was made by Tibaldi.
+27 82 857 6371